Seven transformed historically sensitive fragments into a very special dwelling which has received critical acclaim, winning both the Residential: Small category and the Lord Mayor’s Award at the York Design Awards.
Butting up to a medieval wall in a former stonemason’s yard, this site is extremely sensitive and challenging, containing fragments of a brick arched cellar, the only remaining and therefore highly significant element of the Ingram’s Palace built in 1616. Sitting directly adjacent to York Minster, other elements of high historical significance included a stone wall and stone steps, dating from 1845, and a potting shed from the late 1800s.
The development retains all historical components and adds a contemporary new structure made from stone, brickwork, oak and lead. A 2 storey dwelling has been created which successfully brings the historical structures into meaningful re-use and ensures their protection from deterioration for the future.