THE LONG STREET METHODIST SCHOOLS
Edgar Wood designed Grade II* Listed Building opened its doors once again thanks to seven.
Completed in 1900, the school is considered an acknowledged masterpiece designed by the famous Middleton-born architect Edgar Wood. The architectural style, a mixture of Arts and Crafts and Art Nouveau, was ground-breaking at the time and influenced subsequent 20th century design. It is built of header bond brick, rendered in parts, with attractive red Runcorn sandstone and graduated stone slate roof. Cast-iron gates in stone archways give access to the central courtyard which is surrounded by one and two storey buildings with various coped gables, leaded casement windows and original doors.
Specialists have restored a host of original features, including the leaded windows, stonework, lime render and canopies over the doors. The project required the careful balance of appropriate repair and restoration that enabled a sustainable long-term use after many years of being underutilised. Other crucial work, including rewiring and a new heating system, the installation of new lights and gutters and repairs to the roof, has also been carried out to give the old building a new lease of life.
Now that the work has completed, Greater Manchester Preservation Trust issued The Restoration Book to tell the story of the building and its role in the community. Seven has kindly agreed to sponsor it and delighted to show you a copy of it here: The Restoration of Long Street Methodist School